Saturday, February 2, 2013

Potter Convert


I started "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" on January 9th and finished the series January 27th.  Admittedly I now wish I hadn't waited to read them, but to all you Potter fans that waited so long between books - you're amazing.  After finishing "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" I wallowed in the ending for about half a day - then the next morning I snatched up "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" because I didn't want to wait.  I had to know.

This was my reward for waiting so long - the ability to consume all of the Harry Potter world in less than a month.  The drawback is that I missed out on an opportunity of community geekery where everyone is sharing mutual character love or hatred, excited for plot lines to come, discussing Patronus charms, together.  A friend told me that the day the last book came out he bought a copy and settled into read it at his coffee shop - he wasn't alone.  I love the mental picture of an entire coffee shop of people with their noses in books, all going on the same journey together.  The day that book came out I was working in a University lab - there were fewer people at work that day, and no one could find one of the Chemistry professors because he'd hidden himself (and a copy of the last Harry Potter book) in the bowels of the science buildings.  No one saw him until he'd finished it.

My life is, without a doubt, better for the Harry Potter books - I've already started rereading the first book throughout the day - and I'm glad to have finally let go of whatever had been holding me back.

Harry Potter - Always.


1 comment:

  1. There is something to be said about joining in the nerd fervor.

    ReplyDelete