Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"No-God Books" Part 2

I currently live in the middle of a relatively conservative county.  There are as many churches as bars and there isn't much to do besides going to church and drinking.  While I've been here I've tried to burry myself in books, to read whatever strikes my fancy at any given time.  I have discovered some stumbling blocks.  In my quest for books revolving around atheism I've discovered that some are not available via the cross-county library system -- no library in the area has them.

This book is not available via the local library or it's associates.  I really want to read it because Dale McGowan, an author, blogger, and FBB advocate, wrote a chapter.  I don't know when I stumbled across his blog, but I've been reading it ever since.

I finally got my hands on it through the University of Minnesota online resources.

I've also wanted to read Dale McGowan's 'Calling Bernadette's Bluff' based on his time teaching in a Catholic college.  The local libraries don't have this book either and eventually I bought it.  When I started reading it I was sucked in by the author's wit and humor.  It's a book that can get you thinking and I loved it.

A search of 'Atheism' in the local library catalogue will give you several books on the subject, but it seems to be very slim pickings.  Perhaps this is due to a lack of demand, at least I'm hoping so, because it also could be a deliberate choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment