Monday, January 16, 2012

Stasis and NCIS

The job search crawls slowly on leaving me feeling like I'm in a perpetual unemployment hell - stasis.  In times of stasis I usually have a couple tv shows that are comforting, shows that keep me from going nutty.  Currently its NCIS.  I admit it - I love NCIS.



A friend once commented derisively on the show, wanting to know why anyone would care about the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.  I like a lot of different crime shows and Netflix recommended this one to me - I watched the pilot and I guess I was a goner after that.  It's less the organization and more the characters that draw me to the show.

I love Mark Harmon's portrayal of NCIS Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs.  He is a hard-ass leader who inspires the stedfast loyalty of all his agents and several coworkers.



Essentially he is the upright hero that gets to the truth by whatever means necessary, breaking rules left and right while installing rules of his own on his team.



I also love Pauley Perrette's portrayal of Abby, the big-hearted goth forensic lab analyst.














She is eccentric, fun, and lovable.  She consumes enough Caf-pow to power the department, sleeps in a coffin, and has a farting hippo that keeps her company in the lab.  Her father-daughter relationship with Gibbs is one of my favorite character interactions in the show.

So while I'm waiting I'll consume copious amounts of NCIS and keep applying and applying and applying.

No comments:

Post a Comment