Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Patriotism - My 2 cents

There is nothing of late, no foreign or domestic activity, that has prompted this entry. Its more likely spurred from feeling healthy, having a good cup of coffee, and procrastination. The foundation behind this entry on patriotism is an interaction with a liberal friend that occurred over a month ago. I had just rediscovered 'The West Wing' and was completely devoured by the plot line - I was in love. I knew that Kacee, a liberal with an interest in politics would likely enjoy the show. I described the show to her and at the end added that it made me feel much more patriotic. Her response to the last comment was not what I expected. I don't remember the exact words, but the derisive tone said, "Why in the world would you want to be patriotic?" This stuck in my mind and has been churning around in there ever since.

What is patriotism? What does it mean to be a patriot?
I first looked up patriotism in my computer's dictionary and got this: "patriot |ˈpātrēət| noun 1 a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors." With no real definition for 'patriotism'.
From princeton.edu "Patriotism: love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it"
From Information-Entertainment.com "Patriotism: This is love for or devotion to one's country. A patriot is simply one who totally identifies and idolizes their country despite its faults, but would defend it to those who would try to destroy it from within and from without."

I most relate to the Princeton definition of patriotism because it leaves the most room for interpretation. A "willingness to sacrifice for it" could mean that you are ready to go to war to defend your country. It can also mean you sacrifice time, effort, sweat, love, or money for the country's well-being. Anything that helps improve the well-being of the country could be defined as patriotic. My computer's definition of a patriot includes the words "vigorously supports", which to me connotes a blind devotion. The third definition also brings blindness to the definition, "...idolizes their country despite its faults". I don't laud America over other countries because no one is perfect, but I do appreciate a lot of the freedoms that are given to me as an American citizen. I know we have faults as a nation and I want to help improve them. Take away financial barriers, if any American citizen was given the chance to move out of the US, how many would? I have a feeling some would, but I also know there are thousands who want in.

In addition to dictionary definitions of patriotism I dug around the internet, although not intensively, and found a variety of ideas. I've seen some right-wing web sites and read things like: "I was under the impression that liberals spent the day with their doors locked, hiding under the bed and murmering to themselves as they wait for God's Favorite Holyday to pass. It was startling to discover that some liberals actually consider themselves "patriotic"." This particular person continues to talk about how liberals are potential traitors and heretics, "Treason is not an option for a patriot. Heresy is not an option for a God-fearing man. If America invaded Canada, and Pat Roberson said that we should sacrifice Canadian kids on altars, the liberals would desert, commit treason, become heretics." This type of patriotism, defending the country no matter what even if it means senseless killing of children, to me does not seem like patriotism. It seems detrimental to the country to turn a blind eye to corruption, environmental degradation, inhumane treatment of others, and other flaws that bubble up. I don't deny that at times we need to defend our country since there are those that want to kill us. Unlike this person, I don't see the problem with loving the country because of our freedoms and rights rather than loving the country no matter what. (Quotes from "http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=26148")

Other sites were more hopeful. The ideas posted by Paul Waldman seem more logical to my moderate/liberal sensibilities ("http://bit.ly/d1HanM"). He talks about the difference between symbolic patriotism and substantive patriotism. Symbolic is wearing flags on your clothing, putting them on your house, vehicle, anywhere for others to see. Its a boisterous rendition of 'God Bless the U.S.A', any outward expression of just how much you love your country. Substantive patriotism is more of the idea I previously mentioned - any actions taken to improve the well-being of the country is patriotic. In times of war this may mean going to battle, but I think it can also mean supporting the troops. It can mean working in a soup kitchen, donating money for cancer research, being a foster parent, or any number of other opportunities.

Maybe I'm simply an idealist in this sense, but I have a feeling that if you take out party lines and the petty fighting around the idea of patriotism, most Americans are patriots.

No comments:

Post a Comment