Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Donna Noble

Sunday evening, after I had burnt out on grading papers, I watched 'Splice' and then a few episodes of Criminal Minds.  Both did nothing to help me sleep that night.  Splice wasn't scary, [*mini-spoiler*] it was the sexual violence in the last bit that stuck in my subconscious.  Then watching Criminal Minds there was more sexual violence.  Usually this doesn't get to me, but that night I had a hard time with bad dreams.

Last night, after I worked until 10:30 pm (and finished the grading! Woo!), I wanted to watch something wholesome yet mature - something fun.  This is where Donna Noble enters the picture.
 Of the three Eccleston-Tennant companions I think Donna is my favorite because she's a companion without the complication of falling in love with the Doctor.  They're best friends running throughout time and space.  How awesome is that?
She seemed a bit annoying the first time she appeared in the Christmas Special 'Runaway Bride'.  She was obsessed with pop culture and finding the right man - she was actually getting married the first time we meet her.  After meeting the Doctor she becomes more open-minded and a lot of fun.

I love the first episode where they're reunited, "Partners in Crime".  This scene just cracks me up:

Between them is a room where the current episode's alien is revealing secrets.  Donna and the Doctor have both been looking into the suspicious activities of Adipose Industries and have just run into each other.

They start mouthing things to each other across the room.

I wonder if they had to practice mouthing the words at all because you can understand everything they say.

It really is brilliant - especially when Ms. Foster catches them. "Am I interrupting something?"

I watched this episode and then I watched "The Unicorn and the Wasp".  It's one of the more light hearted episodes of season 4.   In this one they meet Agatha Christie.
In one scene the Doctor is poisoned and is trying to convey the things he needs to reverse the process.
 Her interpretations make me laugh and all the stress of the day just melts away.

I didn't think I'd like Donna at first, but I have to say - she's become my go to when I need to feel better.  And there were no bad dreams last night. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment