Sunday, February 27, 2011

Eat, Pray, Love

Thoughts that I jotted down on Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert when I wasn't blogging:

     I am usually stubborn when it comes to best selling books.  I won’t read them.  It’s this odd character quirk of mine: if everyone else is doing it, then I don’t want to.  Great example: the Harry Potter books.  I refuse to read them still.  I know I will like them, they’re probably my type of fiction, but though my friends have pestered me to no end about them, I simply will not.  When it came to Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert I didn’t think much of it.  It was one of the best sellers that sat facing the front doors of Barnes & Noble and I directed many customers to its shelf.  I didn’t really know what it was all about, but everyone was reading it and everyone loved it.  In one of my more open-minded moments I decided to read a few pages on my break in the back room.  Once I started reading it I couldn’t put it down.  I connected with her on many planes.  I’m not married, but I have felt my life fall out of my own control.  I did not lie on the bathroom floor crying, but I did lie on the floor of my room alone numb with self-medicated alcohol.  Elizabeth (my great-grandmother’s name (God rest her soul), and the name of most main characters in my writing) had a journey that was much harder than mine, but through her strength I see hope.  I’ve read her book many times.  Each time something new jumps out at me.  Each time I want to follow her practices to find internal peace.  Around the time I read this I was looking into the Sacred Feminine and the idea that we each are internally divine – her book spoke to me on both of those levels.  Both of my close girl friends have read it now as well and they also love it.


I found an article on NPR that shows that men too can have a love of this book: Man Enough to Love 'Eat, Pray, Love'.  I really enjoyed his take on it.


Thoughts from the movie:  While I've never been a big fan of Julia Roberts I had to give her a chance in this movie because of her performance in Mona Lisa Smile, one of my favorites.  While the movie had great cinematography - beautiful landscapes, vivid colors, fitting music - the story line couldn't live up to the book.  Much of the book comes from an internal perspective that is difficult to portray on the silver screen - the premise for the entire self-discovery voyage was downplayed in the movie and it resulted in the character coming across as selfish and capricious.  In reality - or so told in her book - it was a long drawn out internal battle.  It was that internal battle that hooked me, that I related to, but that the movie couldn't replicate.  So, while it was pretty to watch, I will stick with the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment