Monday, March 21, 2011

Beauty

One of the PostSecrets from this week was something I've thought from time to time. :)

I have to be careful of what I wear so that I don't look like a slut.  I also have to be careful what I wear when I'm teaching or I'll give my students a free show when I bend over to help them with microscope work.  I waffle between being happy with them and being embarrassed by them.  I found this book when I was working at Barnes and Noble several years ago and its been one of my favorites ever since:
It is beautiful photography and with each picture comes an excerpt written by that person on how they feel about their body, what they think beauty is, or a story from their past.  When I'm feeling self-conscious I can turn to this and know we are beautiful no matter our shape or size - and that others have struggled with their self-image as well. Too often we are shown the perfect way to be and we, men and women alike, kill ourselves to attain that image.  I think we should celebrate our uniqueness more often.  If we were all the same life would be so boring - likely our genetics would be too and that would cause complications all its own.

I am, in general, procrastinating right now. :)  I have a meeting with my advisor in an hour and a half and my brain is still in Beaver Bay.  That break was wonderful, but now I'm having a hard time getting back to work.  My mind wanders to topics like this... and Captain Jack Harkness - he keeps appearing in my dreams.

Off to stare at my computer screen for a little while longer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment