Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Budget Repair Bill

Tonight the Republican Senators of Wisconsin decided, "Gee, let's bypass the Democratic vote" in order to usher in the Budget Repair Bill that strips WI union workers of their collective bargaining rights (except for police and firefighters).

I'm seriously feeling ill over this one.


"In 30 minutes, 18 state Senators undid 50 years of civil rights in Wisconsin. Their disrespect for the people of Wisconsin and their rights is an outrage that will never be forgotten," said Democratic Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller. "Tonight, 18 Senate Republicans conspired to take government away from the people."
The lone Democrat present on the special committee, Democratic Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, shouted that the meeting was a violation of the state's open meetings law. Republicans voted over his objections, and the Senate convened within minutes and passed the measure without discussion or debate.
~NPR article linked above
How could they vote on a bill like this with only one representative from the Democratic party?  I thought this was a Democracy- I thought that the people we voted into the Senate would be able to voice our opinions! I seriously thought this wasn't an option.
I recorded this dream after the protests had started:
"Vote (2/21/11)
            The Republican Senators of WI held a vote on Walker’s Budget Repair Bill and it passes.  They do this without any of the Democratic Party being present.  I try to protest, arguing that they can’t have a vote without any of the minority party present, but they are leaving the room.  The last one stands, taps his papers on the dark glossy wooden surface of the table and simply states, “Yes, we can, and did.” and leaves.  I sit on the floor, in shock."

I've been recording the dreams that stick with me to mine later for possible inspiration.  This one stuck with me because it was disturbing.  If I'd only known!  I mean, there was one Democrat present, but there wasn't much they could do.

I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to have to look elsewhere for work in a few months.

Protests in Madison, WI (from cnn.com)




No comments:

Post a Comment