Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Squash Experiments

It is fall and the squash are abundant.  So, as I did for the over abundance of apples, I started looking for squash recipes.  The difference here was that I'd be cooking.  I'm much more of a baker.  I was often malnourished when I was cooking for just me.  My lack of cooking experience was slightly daunting.  Before these two recipe attempts I had never worked with squash - or eaten much for that matter.

After digging through all the magazines we decided on this:

Corn and Squash Soup
This soup requires 6 cups of squash, which I obtained from a small pumpkin-sized butternut squash.  It also requires 12 strips of bacon, 4 strips short of a pound...so I did them all and ate a few before I put them in the soup. :)  The only other deviation was nearly puréeing the celery and onions because the texture of both make one particular family member unhappy.

A small portion of this soup was taken to my grandmother and she approved, so I must have done something right.

This will most definitely be made again because it was so good and because there is a pile of squash in the garage.

The second recipe was:

Sausage and Mushroom Stuffed Squash

(The recipe for this one is Member-Exclusive according to the website, but can still be read.)

This was so good that we made more the next day and managed to use up 6 acorn squash.

It called for baby Portobello mushrooms, which we didn't have, but regular ones worked just fine.

I recommend either recipe for a cozy fall meal.



The next squash adventure: The giant Hubbard.

No comments:

Post a Comment